Re: Links to Audio Files

by "G. Adam Stanislav" <whizkid(at)bigfoot.com>

 Date:  Thu, 06 Jan 2000 11:23:07 -0600
 To:  <hwg-business(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 09:16 06-01-2000 -0700, Sheldon J. Potter wrote:
>However, is linking to an audio file a different bird?

Yes, it is. A link to a site is generally appreciated. After all, we want
people to visit our sites, don't we (besides, a link to a site is simply
information: it is telling others that such and such site exists, and this
is how you get there).

On the other hand, a link to a resource means taking someone's work and
incorporating it into your web site. So, permission is required. Without
permission it is, IMHO, worse than copying the resource to your site
because not only would you be taking their resource, you'd also be stealing
their bandwidth.

The proper course of action is to ask permission. At the same time ask them
whether they prefer you to copy the resource to your site (which they
probably will) or would rather have you link it directly to the resource on
their site (which they probably won't unless it is a resource that changes
over time and they want people to access the latest version, but that does
not seem to be the case here).

Cheers,
Adam