Re: Protection for webmasters who resell hosting?

by Ivan Hoffman <ivan(at)ivanhoffman.com>

 Date:  Tue, 11 Jan 2000 10:55:18 -0800
 To:  "Linda Titus" <ltitus(at)mindspring.com>,
<hwg-business(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 12:46 PM 1/11/00 -0800, Linda Titus wrote:
.

>What if the hosting company where I 'host' web sites incurs major server
>problems and my clients' sites go down for week?  My clients know I resell
>hosting, but if their sites go down for a week, I could be sued regardless!
>Is there anything I can put in my contracts that can protect me in case the
>server I 'rent' goes down for a week?

Clearly if you are asking the question then your client agreements are not
adequate to cover you in such a situation (and probably a few more).  There
are legally appropriate provisions that can be included in such agreements
but they must comply with the relevant provisions of the version of the
Uniform Commercial Code that may be in effect in your state.

You might want to read "The Need for a Written Web Design Agreement" on my
site.  Click on "Articles for Web Site Designers and Site Owners."

IVAN HOFFMAN, B.A., J.D.
Attorney At Law
Lawyering With Integrity (sm)
Writing and Publishing Law, Web Design Contracts and Law, Copyrights,
Trademarks, Internet Law, Web Site Audits, Recording and Music Law.  *A
Four Times Award-Winning Site.*
http://www.ivanhoffman.com