Re: Drumbeat 2000 vs. Visual InterDev

by Mark Smeets <msmeets(at)ibm.net>

 Date:  Wed, 08 Mar 2000 11:01:11 -0800
 To:  hwg-business(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi everyone, I had sent this note to the original poster via private email
but seeing as how the discussing is getting interesting, i figure I'd
contribute. Forgive any lack of knowledge or the salesmen pitch.

Hi Joe,

I recently went through something similar although the project in question
was a hockey draft and eventually the database and the draft etc...had to
be online. Before that however a friend of mine introduced me to Drumbeat
and I was very intimidated by it. It does have some nice tutorials however
at the time, I didn't know anything about asp or databases (I knew a bit)
and how it worked, so eventually I gave up. Time went on and I had to deal
with the hockey draft and i got into using Cold Fusion. It was an absolute
life saver and did exactly what I needed it to do.

The trick is I find is that you can have 2 seperate entities working
together, unlike Drumbeat where you have to (for example) build a query in
the database and then import it. In Cold Fusion, you can just write your
own CF page as a query. So, you can use your database for multiple purposes
which is great.

I don't know much about Visual InterDev (I'm actually just learning Visual
Basic) but what I can tell you is that if you're a bit of a coder then
defintly check out what CF can do. (I sound like a TV Ad I know but like I
said, I know so much more about how things work since I started using it a
few months ago). CF code is very similiar to HTML and it's actually much
easier to use, not to mention that CF and the CF server can process SQL
statements without any problems. (that I've experienced)

The book I got is called "Cold Fusion 4.0 - Web Application Construction
Kit" by Ben Forta (Allaire President I believe), if you don't know much
about Access, Database, how it all works with the net, then that book, even
though it is CF specific, is an excellent resource (it even tells you how
to set up your own E-Commerce site).

Hope this helps, i think Allaire needs to pay me for endorsing them.

At 03:19 PM 3/6/00 -0500, you wrote:
>Hello All,
>
>I have a client who is wanting to compile information into a database and be
>able to access the information from the database easily. As I have not
>tackled this sort of thing yet, I am trying to figure out a program to use.
>A friend of mine mentioned that I could do it with either Drumbeat 2000 or
>with Visual InterDev. Is this true? If so, which program is better and what
>are the potential pitfalls of each.
>
>Thanks in Advance,
>Joe Keilholz
>Web Developer
>Pace Communications
>(336) 383-5443

Mark Smeets/stranger0/ICQ #1062196

"I am a flyer rising in the wake of my dreams. I am a tumbler, life can be
as good as it seems" - Helloween, "Anything my mamma don't like", Master of
the Rings

WebMaster/Editor for Ujjal Dosanjh
http://www.ujjal.net/

Over the Wall Productions and Web Designs
msmeets(at)ibm.net
http://www.solarcourt.com/

Other Press Webslinger
op_web(at)op.douglas.bc.ca