Re: Domain Registration

by Ivan Hoffman <ivan(at)ivanhoffman.com>

 Date:  Tue, 13 Jun 2000 08:53:58 -0700
 To:  "Mark S. Zane" <mszane(at)pobox.com>,
hwg-business(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 10:27 AM 6/13/00 -0400, Mark S. Zane wrote:
>Hi Guys:
>
>	A client was wondering ... in the registration of a domain name that an
>ISP is processing, what part of the information should reflect his company
>or personal information. He is concerned with the ownership of the domain
>looking like the ISP owns it. For example, the ISP would show as the
>Administrative Contact and the  Technical Contacts. How should this read to
>ensure the client is free of any debate on ownership.

In your written client agreement, this should be covered.  Frankly, in my
agreements on behalf of site owners I provide that the designer should
*not* list itself as a contact.  This is a position of some leverage and
the client ought not to be out of control of this important function.

IVAN HOFFMAN, B.A., J.D.
Attorney At Law
Lawyering With Integrity (sm)
Internet Law, Copyrights, Trademarks, Writing and Publishing Law, Web
Design Contracts and Law, Business Plans, Web Site Audits, Recording and
Music Law.  *A Four Times Award-Winning Site.*
http://www.ivanhoffman.com