Re: Larger clients?

by Ivan Hoffman <ivan(at)ivanhoffman.com>

 Date:  Fri, 22 Sep 2000 15:20:33 -0700
 To:  acregar(at)nr.infi.net,
"hwg-business(at)mail.hwg.org" <hwg-business(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 03:56 PM 9/22/00 -0400, Adrienne H. Cregar wrote:
>Hello all. I am quoting a prospective client for a significantly larger
>site than we usually work on. I don't want to ask a question that will
>break the rules of this group regarding pricing, so please do not
>respond with any price information, but (here is the question...): We
>usually collect a 50% deposit up front and the balance due on completion
>of the site. With such a large project, I think other arrangements would
>need to be made. Could any of you that regularly do large-scale projects
>respond to me privately about your payment schedule/terms? Thank you in
>advance...

You **never** want to put yourself in a position where a client owes you
half of the money and you have already completed the work.  I cannot
emphasize this too much, as I do in my classes that I teach for designers.
Deal making is always about controlling the agenda.  You must control the
agenda.  On these larger deals, the payment should be spread out based upon
deliverables such as $X on signing, $x on delivery of the first 5 pages, $x
on delivery of the next 5 pages etc. or whatever the deliverables are
supposed to be.  That way, when you deliver the final portion, you are owed
only a small amount.  Also, you should keep the site on your server
throughout the whole time until you are paid.  And the contract should
allow you to stop work if payment is late by even a couple of days.  Don't
continue to work if you have not been paid.  The reasons for non-payment
are not your concerns.  You are a professional and should expect the client
to behave in that way.

IVAN HOFFMAN, B.A., J.D.
Attorney At Law
Lawyering With Integrity (sm)
Internet Law, Copyrights, Trademarks, Writing and Publishing Law, Web
Design Contracts and Law, Business Plans, Web Site Audits, Recording and
Music Law.  *A 5 Times Award-Winning Site.* http://www.ivanhoffman.com