Re: back door

by Ivan Hoffman <ivan(at)ivanhoffman.com>

 Date:  Fri, 10 Nov 2000 09:55:59 -0800
 To:  Molly <Molly_Brewer(at)brown.edu>,
hwg-business(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 11:52 AM 11/10/00 -0500, Molly wrote:

>Does that change your opinion, Ivan?

I am a very thorough attorney and my advice in virtually all areas of
intellectual property law is to license.  See for example my article
entitled "Screen Shot Liability for Computer Book Authors" on my site.
Click on "Articles for Authors and Publishers."

There are *significant* advantages to licensing (which is about obtaining
permission) as opposed to rolling the dice and *hope* that you are legally
correct in not licensing.  If you want to trust in the vagaries of a
quickly evolving body of Internet law and not seek a license, that's your
choice.  But as an attorney, it is my obligation to advise my clients about
what is appropriate.

Besides, for those that do believe in "shoulds," isn't it part of what used
to be called "netiquette" to ask permission?
IVAN HOFFMAN, B.A., J.D.
Attorney At Law
Lawyering With Integrity (sm)
Internet Law, Copyrights, Trademarks, Publishing Law, Corporate Training
and Online Education Law, Web Design Law, Recording and Music Law.  *A 5
Times Award-Winning Site.* http://www.ivanhoffman.com