Re: non-compete agreements?

by Ivan Hoffman <ivan(at)ivanhoffman.com>

 Date:  Mon, 04 Dec 2000 05:36:03 -0800
 To:  "Robert Clendaniel" <robert(at)baylogic.com>,
<hwg-business(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 05:07 AM 12/4/00 -0500, Robert Clendaniel wrote:
>We use quite a few subcontractors in additional to our salaried
>staff, and we're interested in having them sign a non-disclosure
>agreement (NDA).
>
>This would be to protect us against them contacting our clients
>to do side-deals, compete against us in our locality, etc.

Depending upon your state, these type provisions may not be enforceable.
Unless you can show some proprietary rights in your client lists, you
cannot prevent the competition.  Certainly under California law, none of
the things you mentioned in your post would be enforceable.  Read "The
Non-Disclosure Agreement" on my site.  Click on "Articles About Being an
Entrepreneur."

IVAN HOFFMAN, B.A., J.D.
Attorney At Law
Lawyering With Integrity (sm)
Internet Law, Copyrights, Trademarks, Publishing Law, Corporate Training
and Online Education Law, Web Design Law, Recording and Music Law.  *A 6
Times Award-Winning Site.* http://www.ivanhoffman.com