Re: Need help with client's invoice please

by Ivan Hoffman <ivan(at)ivanhoffman.com>

 Date:  Wed, 02 May 2001 10:07:27 -0700
 To:  <JasonRuble(at)mindspring.com>,
<hwg-business(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 12:16 PM 5/2/01 -0400, Jason Ruble wrote:
>Hi HWG member,
>
>I have an invoice problem - could you please help? I built a web site for a
>sole proprietor who owns a franchise.

Apparently your written contract is deficient since it has not provided
that if the client fails to pay when due, you can take down her site if you
have control over the same.  And it appears to be further deficient because
you put yourself in the position of launching the site before you got paid
in full.

If your contract is deficient as indicated, it is probably deficient in
other ways as well.  Look to the future and don't make the mistake of
believing you can cut and paste an agreement together yourself and be fully
protected.  Keep in mind that in the business of intellectual property
rights, legally appropriate contracts are *not* add-ons to your business,
something you do *if* you have any money left over; legally appropriate
contracts *are* your business.  Without a thorough and valid contract, then
what you have is nothing but an illusion.  It only *appears* you are in
business but in reality, you are not since given a controversy between you
and your client, as here, you risk losing your rights and the fees that go
along with those rights.  I am sorry for your situation but frankly, it is
just the latest example of what I have been saying for years.

Read the many, many articles on my site dealing with web design contracts.
IVAN HOFFMAN, B.A., J.D.
Attorney At Law
Lawyering With Integrity
Internet Law, Copyrights, Trademarks, Publishing Law, Corporate Training
and Online Education Law, Web Design Law, Recording and Music Law.  *A 6
Times Award-Winning Site.* http://www.ivanhoffman.com