Re: Legitimate Mailings vs. Spam

by Donna Smillie <dms(at)zetnet.co.uk>

 Date:  Sat, 20 Sep 2003 11:04:53 +0100
 To:  hwg-business(at)hwg.org
 Cc:  hwg-lgmgr(at)theistudio.com
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hmmm...  sent this over 10 hours ago, but it doesn't appear to have
made it to the list.  Sending again, and apologies if both messages
suddenly turn up...

Donna

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 09:53:35 -0500, Judith Kallos
<hwg-lgmgr(at)theistudio.com> wrote:

>I would love to hear your experiences on doing legitimate mailings such =
as=20
>newsletters, if you've run into this type of issue and what if anything=20
>you've been able to do to minimize any problems associated with being=20
>clumped with spammers.   I have one client in particular that due to the=
=20
>size of his legitimate monthly email notice has been identified by AOL =
as a=20
>spammer and therefore all his messages bounce back with a notice to that=
=20
>effect.   Isn't that ironic!?  ;-)

You might find the info on http://postmaster.info.aol.com useful.  In
particular, the page on their whitelisting policy at
http://postmaster.info.aol.com/whitelist.html.

Quote:
"AOL has developed Solicited Bulk Mailing Guidelines to both aid
'netizens with their online marketing campaigns and also
simultaneously protect our member base from e-mail abuse. If you
believe your organization can adhere to the guidelines below, please
call our Postmaster Hotline at 1-703-265-4670 or 1-888-212-5537 and
the Postmaster group will evaluate your mailing patterns to see if you
qualify for whitelist status."
End quote.

I read recently (it was either on the newsgroup
net.admin.net-abuse.email or on one of the Spamcop newsgroups/mailing
lists) that legitimate newsletters and mailing lists, if they comply
with the mailing guidelines on the page referred to above, can get
whitelisted by AOL so that they can send bulk mailings to AOL users
without experiencing the problems you refer to.

Regards,
Donna