Re: follow up on using a false identity

by Kym Jones <kjones(at)adam.com.au>

 Date:  Sun, 21 May 2000 10:48:07 +0930
 To:  "Thomas Carreno" <thomascarreno(at)worldspy.net>,
<hwg-business(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
<snip>

>I am basically left with the impression now that this would not be a good
>idea at all. However for the sake of argument here are a couple of points.
>Don't actors and tv shows and certain products on the market use false
>identities to portray themselves? Actors and Actresses pretend to be any
>number of types of people and we actually believe that this is what they
>are. Actors also are on TV commercials and the people they pretend to be on
>their regular acting jobs (such as a father figure) are then used on the TV
>commercial to portray the idea that the product is ideal because it is being
>promoted by this 'fake' ideal father from the TV show.

</snip>

Just because Superman can fly on TV, does not mean that he can fly in real
life and IMHO if you portray yourself on a website as something that you
are not, that website is doomed to crash land sooner or later.

Look at it this way. A website is, in effect, no different from a store in
a strip mall. Misrepresent yourself or your products and you won't be in
business for very long.

I think you've just answered your own question. Television commercials are
just that...30/60 second grabs with *actors*. It's not a matter of being
"fake"...the actors don't hoodwink you by telling you that they own/run the
business and if they did, I'm sure they'd be sued in a heartbeat.  They are
simply paid to promote the product.

The website is yours, it's around (hopefully) longer than 30/60 seconds and
can be seen worldwide. You own it, you run it and you promote it. To
pretend to be something that you are not is downright fraudulent.

Kym

FoJo Media -  for Creative Web Design and Marketing Services
http://www.fojomedia.com

Visit my garden to enhance your website with FREE graphics...
http://www.angelfire.com/biz3/makinwaves/garden.html

In conjunction with Makin' Waves Studio
http://www.angelfire.com/biz3/makinwaves/index.html

A tribute to my Mother who recently passed away
http://www.geocities.com/BourbonStreet/Bayou/4441/tribute.html