Re: SSL suppport

by "Leland V. Lammert" <lvl(at)omnitec.net>

 Date:  Tue, 04 Jan 2000 09:55:28 -0600
 To:  ml(at)digitaldaze.com,
Heather Peel <heather(at)thenetnow.com>
 Cc:  Keith Kaste <kkaste(at)hotbot.com>, hwg-business(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 07:36 PM 1/3/00 , Mailing List Account wrote:
>Heather,
>
>Everything you say below is mostly correct.  To be a little more
>technical, it doesn't have anything to do with the IP address, but instead
>the httpsd server.

Hi Bill,

Sorry, .. but that is not true -- Apache DOES require a single bound IP for an SSL Virtual Host, .. SSL does NOT work with HTTP1.1 named hosts (your comment about IPs), and I would assume IIS works the same way.

>On Apache/NCSA web servers at least, you can only have one cert per server
>daemon....  Hmm, now that I say that, it may no longer be true... hmmm...
>very interesting, the docs at apache-ssl.org say the SSLCertificateFile
>and SSLCertficateKeyFile can be used in the virtual host context. I guess

No, .. Apache works just fine with the SSL directives *WITHIN* a Virtual Host declaration - we have been doing that for four years. You also can have separate CERTs for any VH.

         Lee