Re: New SEC Law on SSL Certificates?

by "Leland V. Lammert" <lvl(at)omnitec.net>

 Date:  Sun, 16 Jan 2000 13:42:40 -0600
 To:  "Linda Titus" <ltitus(at)mindspring.com>,
<hwg-business(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 07:44 PM 1/15/00 , Linda Titus wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>Site-host.com just told me that on 12/1/99, the SEC passed a law that says
>all SSL certificates must be individually owned.  Site-host.com says the
>reason CIHost had many of its servers shut down for a week two weeks ago was
>because the SEC forced them to shut down, because those servers were hosting
>sites that were �sharing� certificates.  As most of you probably know, most
>hosting companies do share certificates. Site-host.com warned me that the
>SEC will eventually come down all hosts that are sharing certificates.

Linda,

The SEC has absolutely NOTHING to say about SSL certificates. The fact that Site-Host is using that as an excuse means that THEY have some sort of problem with the SEC.

For example, we host a number of SSL sites for clients, .. and all of them use OUR certificate (at this point). We have no communications with the SEC, and as a private company they have absolutely NO authority over us.

Personally, I would look somewhere else.

>Speaking of SSL, VeriSign just bought Thawte.  I sure hope Thawte�s prices
>don�t go up. Does anyone know of an SSL certificate provider that costs less
>than Thawte?

Yes and no. VeriSign has tendered an offer for Thawte, but at this point Thawte has not notified us (a hosting partner) of any changes, .. and I understand that a suit has been filed in Federal court to block the acquisition.

         Lee