Re: Ever heard of these search engine problems?

by "Leland V. Lammert" <lvl(at)omnitec.net>

 Date:  Fri, 03 Mar 2000 12:15:29 -0600
 To:  <ltitus(at)mindspring.com>,
<hwg-business(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 01:17 PM 3/3/00 , Linda Titus wrote:
>1. If the site does not have its own IP number
>
>2. If there is a DNS reverse lookup problem
>
>(Unless I'm mistaken and a domain server number is not the same thing as an
>IP number...if I'm mistaken please let me know.)

Linda,

No, . not related. Your site resolves to [forward DNS] 208.144.122.134, .. BUT this IP does NOT resolve itself [reverse DNS], so the reverse DNS for yoru site is definitely not working. This means that your ISP does not have any DNS entries for 208.144.122.134, .. or possibly an entire block of addresses. Definately their problem! You have a BIG bone to pick with PAIR networks - a problem like this is very amateurish. Your ISP, Pair networks upstream provider is Cable & Wireless, .. so the problem might actually be with them [C&W].

You can see this for yourself - do an nslookup [on NT or Unix] on allaboardcruises.com produces the IP, .. and then an nslookup ON the IP produces the error! (You can also see the IP by pinging the site, .. then using the NetSol whois (http://www.networksolutions.com/cgi-bin/whois/whois) to do a trace on the IP.

>Anyway, I don't see why a search engine would toss out a site for this reason, do you?

Never had it come up - all our sites have their own IPs, .. and we always ensure that reverse DNS is setup properly. I *HAVE* seen a lot of network errors for bad RDNS, .. in fact our mailserver automatically rejects an incoming mail server if IT'S RDNS does not resolve - this is a major spam blocking strategy.

         Lee