Re: how do you handle this? (was Re: e-commerce Start Up Tips Needed)

by "Leland V. Lammert" <lvl(at)omnitec.net>

 Date:  Fri, 14 Apr 2000 10:53:16 -0700
 To:  ShemaXod(at)aol.com,
hwg-business(at)mail.hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 07:31 AM 4/14/00 , ShemaXod(at)aol.com wrote:

>I know one thing holding me back from actually launching my own business is
>how do I handle it when a client asks for something I don't know how to do?
>I'm not afraid to admit that I don't know, but how do ya'll do that and still
>maintain your client's confidence? Do you ask for some time to find out if
>its something you can do? Or do you just say "we'll figure it out"?
>
>I appreciate any thoughts on this!

Hi Sherill,

What you are asking about is called 'doing business'. Be confident (based on capabilities, of course), .. do your homework before submitting a proposal (e.g. locate options for each component), and bid based on those prices. It takes a little experience, but we would never say 'no' to a client if we can honestly answer the following questions:

1) We would like the client as a customer.

2) The project is within our 'business plan' (i.e. neither too large nor too small).

3) The project approach is technically understandable and realistic.

4) The technical issues are doable.

5) For each component, we plan the following:

5a) What would it take us in time/resources.

5b) What it would take someone else to do [i.e. sub] in time/resources.

5c) What it would cost if someone else provide the component as a service (e.g. hosting).

For example, for a shopping cart bid using one of the site services - e.g. Yahoo Store. Then when *(and if)* you get the project, you can make the decision as to whether to go with that service or do it yourself.

         Lee