Re: Fwd: Re: SEO Contract, Negociations

by "Kevin A. Jackson" <kevin(at)nvision.on.ca>

 Date:  Tue, 17 Oct 2000 09:40:12 -0500
 To:  hwg-business(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 11:50 PM 10/16/00 -0700, you wrote:
> >- snipped -<

>I am considering charging clients according to the following criteria for
>SEO-related work:
>1) How highly I get them placed
>2) In what search engine
>3) According to what keyword(s)
>I could calculate charges according to how many hits that particular
>keyword received at that particular level in that particular SE. Does
>anyone have experience with this? Does anyone have a contract along those
>lines they would be willing to share?
>Any takers...yet?

 >- snipped -<

It is a free market, so you can charge for whatever you are of a mind to,
but I would definitely not tie my fees to how highly you get them placed.
No matter how skilled and experienced you are, you can put in your best
effort and place anywhere in the top 300, depending on the time of day,
month, or any of several almost random factors that you could not predict
unless you were actually writing the algorithms for the Search Engines.

I for one would not want to tie my income, profit, or the well-being of my
dependants on something that uncontrollable.

On the other hand if you were writing the algorithms for the Search
Engines, could you let me in on some of your secrets :)?

Regarding keywords and specific search engines, that's not a bad idea: for
example when I optimize a site for Altavista, there is a specific list of
things I do, ditto for Yahoo, etc. (I know, Yahoo is not a Search Engine,
but getting properly listed in Yahoo is a job for a professional). Keywords
are pretty predictable as a multiplier of fees too, because you can pretty
well define how competitive certain keywords are, meaning how much more
work it will be to get well ranked.

HTH
Cheers

Kevin A. Jackson, Webmaster