Re: Advice for perpetuity?

by "Kevin A. Jackson" <kevin(at)nvision.on.ca>

 Date:  Tue, 22 May 2001 23:15:45 -0400
 To:  hwg-business(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original

--

I always end up regretfully referring them on to somebody else - unless
they have changed as much as we have in the intervening 4-5 years. 5 Years

Don't get me wrong - we appreciated the opportunity and without them we may
never have gotten off the ground.

If those clients are still thinking the same way today, then they will have
a really hard time paying us the rate we charge everyone else. In some ways
I feel responsible for creating a co-dependency, where they think that all
web services should be delivered at the rate they got it before, so I try
to explain how things have changed, how it takes a little more money to
keep a fully staffed shop, with computers and software, and paying people
enough that they do the job reliably and repeatedly. I explain that we will
not be around to help them or anybody if we don't price properly, and I ask
how comfortable they would feel in the dentists' chair if they knew he was
doing it for free, or as a hobby?

I have tried - I would treat them like a brand new client, generate a
proposal, manage their expectations, but sooner or later either they slip
into the old habit of trying to get it for free, or we slip into the old
habit of giving it away for free - even worse! Very rarely it works - when
the client started at the same time as us and they have grown too, learning
as they go to budget for professional services. Even then, there is a
constant feeling of discomfort, almost guilt, that we owe them something.
As I said at the beginning, I think the rational thing should be to refer
them on to somebody else, if only to preserve the friendship that has
developed in the intervening years.

Thank you for your patience with my rambling.

Cheers

Kevin Jackson

--
Biz-Zone Internet Group Inc.
Web developers, publishers and consultants.