Re: Smart Tags (+ Top Text)

by Roxanne Flanagan <hwg-rmf(at)autumnweb.com>

 Date:  Mon, 20 Aug 2001 11:02:04 -0400
 To:  <hwg-business(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
 >At 01:02 PM 8/17/01 -0500, Armando Trevino wrote:
 >There is much discussion on the Internet with regards to Smart Tags, be
it via the Microsoft new Office software or via KaZaa that has a Plug-In
from Ezula.com.

 >At 02:57 PM 8/17/01 , you wrote:
>          As reported in GigaLaw.com Daily News
>(http://www.GigaLaw.com/news) on June 28, Microsoft decided to drop the
>Smart Tags feature from its upcoming XP products after a lot of critical
>feedback and legal questions.  CNET reported this decision at
>http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-6399150.html?tag=mn_hd
>
>Doug Isenberg, Esq.
>Editor & Publisher, GigaLaw.com
>FREE daily Internet law news via e-mail!  $ubscribe at
>http://www.GigaLaw.com/news

ummmm, not exactly!

Smart Tags ARE installed AND enabled in MS XP Office program. And people
who have that now, have Smart Tags installed on their browser, as well.
Because MS has IE closely tied in to the operating system, Office XP will
react with MSIE.

I have seen many posts on developer boards, and know people who have gotten
XP Office already, and they have reported that SmartTags DO live!

quoted from the page at
http://www.clickz.com/aff_mkt/aff_mkt/article.php/843801
"Although Microsoft left the door open for Smart Tags to be included in
future versions of Windows XP and IE, it's also important to note that the
Smart Tags still live in Office XP and Windows XP beta, and that could be a
bad thing for many."

Article also has a link to the SmartTags Petition, and a link to the code
you need to put on your pages so SmartTags don't work (for now ... MS can
change the coding so that SmartTags ignores that meta tag).

But the bigger buzz right now is eZula's Top Text installation.
http://buzz.builder.com/cgi-bin/WebX?13(at)100.d7ENabmvcMa^[email protected]/0
http://www.takebacktheweb.com/
http://www.petitiononline.com/toptext/

HTH, Roxanne
http://autumnweb.com/
Not just putting your business on the Web,
Promoting your business on the Web!