RE: Spammers and web hosting

by Rachel Hartman <rhartman(at)io.com>

 Date:  Wed, 05 Jan 2000 13:19:52 -0600
 To:  jacquelin.hooker(at)ss.ps.ge.com,
hwg-business(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 01:14 PM 1/5/00 -0500, jacquelin.hooker(at)ss.ps.ge.com wrote:

>Spam is simply the internet/email version of commercials, magazine ads,
>direct mail.  Yes, they tend to be annoying and waste our time, but without
>them we wouldn't find new products and solutions to solve existing problems.
>Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that I actively spam people - I don't -
>however I thought it best to post another side to the situation.

Jacqui, I'm glad to hear that you don't spam.  However, as others have said
(and will say again, I'm sure), comparing spam to direct mail is a false
analogy because the cost of direct mail (design, production, and postage)
is born by the marketer, whereas the cost of spam is spread to the
customers and any innocent servers that are relaying it across the net.  My
favorite argument against spam is by comparing it to a telemarketing
call:  If you received a telemarketing call collect, would you accept the
charges?  No, you wouldn't--and that's why telemarketers, like direct
mailers, pay for it themselves.

However, the real issue here is not about whether spam is
evil/bad/etc.--we've had that discussion here before and there are those
who will not be swayed from their positions.  My primary concern with this
is that an individual (who did not sign his/her name but hid behind "The
[webhost] Team") who was representing a company did not care to treat a
possible potential customer with even minimal courtesy.  This is, I
believe, a Bad Thing for employees and business owners to do.  Unless
you're Bill Gates, you will *always* have competition with bigger financial
resources.  Unless you're extremely fortunate, you will *always* have
competition with more advanced/educated/talented employees.  If you can't
afford to spend a lot of money on advertising, and if you can't afford to
hire the best talent in town, you are exercising poor business judgement if
you do not try to excel in the areas of service and business relations.  Do
you give your customers and potential customers accurate information?  Do
you deliver the information in an efficient manner, preferably given in a
form they can understand?  Do you do this in a courteous fashion?  Do you
remember that positive word-of-mouth is a great way to get even more customers?

I know that the yutz who answered my e-mail was probably a low-level
drone.  Guess what?  That's no excuse.  Ask any receptionist if he/she is
allowed to snub the public.  I know that we're just finishing the holiday
season, including the start of Y2K.  Guess what?  That's no excuse,
either.  If you don't have the energy to be friendly, then be polite, or at
least formal.

I would've been perfectly happy with a form letter that said, "We received
your report, and wish to inform you that the spammer's account has already
been closed."  End of message.  No "Thank you for your report" is
required.  Don't tell me I'm spamming you by reporting a misuse of your
services.  Don't tell me you have better things to do with your time than
deal with reports of spam.  (If you're that busy, develop a form letter you
can cut-n-paste or an automated response.)

And don't be surprised if your lack of good manners loses you customers.

Rachel Hartman