RE: Spammers and web hosting

by Rachel Hartman <rhartman(at)io.com>

 Date:  Thu, 06 Jan 2000 11:13:53 -0600
 To:  jacquelin.hooker(at)ss.ps.ge.com,
hwg-business(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 09:58 AM 1/6/00 -0500, jacquelin.hooker(at)ss.ps.ge.com wrote:
>Who do think sorts the regular paper mail - robots??  OUR tax dollars (yes,
>both YOURS and MINE) pay thousands of US Postal employees to sort mail and
>deliver it daily.

Actually, I seem to recall hearing that the U.S. Postal service doesn't get
any tax monies for its budget.  It has to earn its keep with the postage it
charges, the stamps they sell, plus the P.O. box fees, plus all the other
charges they apply to special services.  And some of the mail *is* sorted
by machines--that's what those bar codes are for.  Humans are used to sort
mail that is addressed by hand, or is illegible.

Sounds like the mail is being supported by the people who use it, and not
every single taxpayer.  Again, not a good analogy for unsolicited
commercial e-mail.

Perhaps we need to work on the definitions for spam.  I personally consider
spam to mean "commercial e-mail I did not ask for."  If I've signed up with
Macromedia or another vendor to be notified of new products/services or
tips, then I'm asking for the commercial e-mail, an "opt-in" list.  I'm
part of a targeted audience for them--I have purchased a product/service,
and I have expressed an interest in learning more.  IMO, this is an example
of e-mail being responsibly used as a marketing (and in some cases
continuing education) tool, and it is a very powerful tool indeed.

I subscribe to several mailing lists.  Sometimes I get mail through the
list that has no immediate interest for me, but I read it because it
*might* come in handy in the future, or it might be of interest to a
non-subscriber I know.  Again, an "opt-in" list.  I've recommended joining
lists to some of my clients who are interested in networking with others in
their industry via the net, and it has worked very well for some of them.

My company's e-mail address is on our web site so that potential and
current clients can contact us.  Is that kind of e-mail spam?  No, because
it's part of recruiting business.  But I *do* consider it spam if someone
who is not interested in my company uses that e-mail address to send me
advertisements, especially because the vast, overwhelming majority of it
either concerns services we already offer for others or do for ourselves,
or it's for the typical MMF/porn/free cable/etc. kind of spam we all love
to delete.  The only non-client e-mail I like to look over comes from
people wanting to work for me.

I've heard some people say, "Well, only geeks care about spam--regular
people don't."  Wanna bet?  My dad is a minister and pretty non-geeky, and
he doesn't like getting e-mail from strangers.  Trying to make spam look
good by demonizing its opponents is a rather weak argument.

OTOH, the responsible use of e-mail--sending useful information to people
who have expressed an interest in same--is something we should all
consider, both for ourselves and when recommending it to our clients.

Rachel Hartman