Re: Foot-dragging clients

by Rachel Hartman <rhartman(at)io.com>

 Date:  Thu, 06 Jan 2000 14:48:13 -0600
 To:  webmaster(at)pb-n-j.com,
hwg-business(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 02:16 PM 1/6/00 -0600, T. Kimsey/P. Hendrix wrote:
>What do any of you do in similar situations?  How do you get your
>clients to get moving on a site?  How do you turn those heel dragging
>leads into money?

One thing I've done to get the ball rolling is to present the client with a
worksheet.  I break down the web site page by page (or section by section,
depending), and outline what we will be providing and what we need them to
provide.  Some clients jokingly refer to this as their "homework," but most
people fill it out and return it fairly quickly.  I think it helps because
they are being told, in writing, that certain things from them are absolute
necessities.  Others like it because it serves as a checklist for
them--"Okay, I've done my part, and now I'll sit back and wait for you to
do the rest."

Of course, if they don't fill it out, you have to call them up and say, "I
sent you your worksheet last Monday, and I haven't heard from you
since--did it get there, is it lost on your desk, did your secretary use it
as a coaster?  Do I need to send it again?  When do you think you'll be
able to get back to me on that?"