Re: Compensation based on Percentage of total Internet sales.

by Rachel Hartman <rhartman(at)io.com>

 Date:  Thu, 13 Jan 2000 19:12:07 -0600
 To:  hwg-business(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 07:52 PM 1/13/00 -0500, Capt. Ron wrote:
>Thank you at least for the "May".
>In other words after great legal expense in drafting a good agreement, it MAY
>protect you.  Then again - maybe not.

Doesn't surprise me.  You get a bad client, one who doesn't take your
contract seriously even after signing it, proceeds to break a few of the
articles--the ones that really matter to you--manages to do so in such a
way that even if you take him to court, your attorney can't convince the
judge that you are in the right, and boom! you don't get the satisfaction
you were hoping for.  Or you get a judge who's incredibly dense and/or
ignorant about the Internet, or (worst case scenario), the fix is in.

As has been said about restraining orders, "This is a piece of paper, not a
bulletproof shield."  I haven't had any serious problems with our clients
that required outside intervention, but I've had my share who seemed to be
surprised that we were serious about being paid on time and applying a late
fee if their checks were late.  Great contract, written by a good attorney,
annoying client who is now an ex.

Rachel Hartman