Re: Selling an internet company

by Stephen Johnston <pepe(at)gainsay.com>

 Date:  Sun, 12 Mar 2000 16:56:16 -0800
 To:  Chris Bickford <cbickfor(at)mcs.com>,
hwg-business(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 08:15 AM 3/12/2000 , you wrote:
>Jill File wrote:
> > Thanks for the feedback, friends. I suggested to the client they look into
> > the valuation service at Great Domains, at least as a place to start. I'm
> > not so sure about advertising their intention on the site, though it's a
> > very creative idea. In this case I suspect their competitors are the most
> > likely prospects or even another business entirely might be interested in
> > the site for its back-end programming alone.I was hoping to find an auction
> > site for online businesses. . .hmm, maybe that's a niche idea!
>
>It's been done.  I've found that about.com has a good section on selling
>businesses for entrepeneurs, with quite a few links to M&A sites.  It's
>a drawn out process, and the first thing to watch out for is that you
>never sell to a competetor.  It looks good until you really think about
>it.

Chris-

         I would have to disagree about selling to a competitor. That can
be a very good way to sell your business. If they are looking to expand
their market, grow out of their niche, or to add well trained staff with
certain skills you may be a perfect buy candidate if you are a competitor.
That is the nature of many M&A strategies.

-Stephen Johnston