RE: tobacco sales

by Rachel Hartman <rhartman(at)io.com>

 Date:  Tue, 02 May 2000 20:14:52 -0500
 To:  hwg-business(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 03:41 PM 5/2/00 -0700, Daniel Wedeking wrote:
>Gotta jump in with my 2 cents.
>
>Non Paying customers.  These are ones I do not feel I could do business
>with.
>
>1/2 joking.

Heh.  I hear you.  Here's my 2 cents:  Customers who want to start a
web-based business of some kind, but haven't even drawn up a business
plan.  I had one lady call me up wanting to build an online storefront to
sell clothing.  She was all anxious to make an appointment ... but she
hadn't filed a DBA, hadn't gotten a merchant account, and she kept having
to tell her kids to be quiet.  I thought fast, told her there were other
companies in town who were much more experienced when it came to e-commerce
sites, gave her a couple of names to choose from, and thanked her for her
interest.

Contrast that with one of my latest clients, someone who has a business
plan, has assembled marketing materials, and is basically going into
business so she can get paid for something she enjoys doing--*not* just
because she's trying to jump on the Internet bandwagon to MMF.  (She's not
quitting her day job, either.)  Sure, she's a startup, but she's done her
homework and is willing to pay me to design a web site.  She does not need
me to tell her how to start a business.

Rachel Hartman