Re: designing for IE and NS

by Rachel Hartman <rhartman(at)io.com>

 Date:  Wed, 24 May 2000 08:42:58 -0500
 To:  hwg-business(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 01:09 AM 5/24/00 +0100, Comharsa wrote:
>I think it's fine to aim for a particular browser if you're prepared to
>accept the consequences. How many clients would you have if you told them
>that their site was only going to be available for 64% of the people out
>there?

Yes.  If it's for an intranet situation, or if you're needing to build a
demo version that will be displayed on X browser at Y resolution, certainly
build with a particular system in mind.  But warn the client that you'll
need some time (and money!) to turn that web site into something more
accessible.  This has worked well for me in the past, with clients who
wanted a demo site for their convention booth, but didn't yet have all the
content for the "real" web site.

>I personally see those "best viewed" comments as the web designer saying "I
>couldn't be bothered to fix it for the others". For a home page it's just
>about acceptable but not for a business site.

Agreed!  One of the most arrogant web design companies I know of (not on
this list) loftily proclaimed that you just had to pick one browser and
code for that ... and the rest of the audience could go hang.

Last time I checked, their domain appeared to have been bought by someone
else--a company which proudly proclaimed that its web site could be viewed
by all the major browsers.

>Having said that, the sooner they all support the same standards the better.

The Holy Grail of web design.

Rachel Hartman