Search Engines Revisited

by Marty Landman <marty(at)face2interface.com>

 Date:  Tue, 17 Oct 2000 21:06:43 -0400
 To:  hwg-business(at)mail.hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 08:09 AM 10/17/00, Emerson D. Champion wrote:

>I have a bread machine recipe page on my personal website at
>www.qis.net/~champion/bread/main.html. Using the search term "bread
>machine recipes" (sans quotes), these are the results I came up with:
>
>Google - 7th
>Excite - 11th
>Lycos - 1st under the "websites" category below the "popular" category
>Yahoo - 6th under the "web page matches" (which is powered by Google)
>Alta-Vista - 3rd
>GO.com - 4th "Proven Pick"
>AOL.com - 13th

I noticed something similar with my old business site. Some time ago I was
teaching myself some simple javascript and put an adaptation of a timer on,
calling it a 'pulse-meter' and listing it on the "stupid web tricks"
section of the site ... http://www.catnmoose.com/stupid.shtml.

Since I'm a CGI programmer, I keep track of hits with my own log. One of
the niceties about this is that by printing out the $ENV{'HTTP_REFERER'}
from the log routine I can see what sites people click over from. If it's a
search engine I can see the query too, embedded in the SE's link. After
noticing folks coming to the pulse meter from a major SE I went there
myself and typed "pulse meter" and waddayu know? One a page otherwise
filled with medical apparatus manufacturing webpages, my stupid web trick
page was right on top!

My wife and me cracked up over that one, but how and why it got there is
still an unknown to me. BTW, it ain't there anymore.

Sharing your bewilderment,

Marty