Re: Trademarks and domain namees

by Doug Isenberg <disenberg(at)GigaLaw.com>

 Date:  Thu, 04 Jan 2001 16:59:17 -0500
 To:  Suzanne Ankerbrand <sankerbrand(at)villagelife.org>,
hwg-business(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
         Domain names and trademark disputes are very common!  However,
like all things legal, any informed opinion would depend on a number of
facts not provided.  Among other things, a lawyer would want to know what
the trademark is, when/if it was registered (and where), how it is
being/has been used, what the domain name is, how it is being used, and
more.  I'm not asking you to provide that info on this list or to me
directly (as a matter of fact, please do NOT do so); I'm only pointing out
that every case is different.  For some background reading on domain name
disputes, the following articles may be useful:

Battling Cybersquatters: New Tools for Trademark Holders,
http://www.gigalaw.com/articles/kubiszyn-2000-02-p1.html

New Domain Name Dispute Procedure Takes Effect,
http://www.gigalaw.com/articles/stewart-2000-02-p1.html

and other articles at http://www.gigalaw.com/articles/domainnames.html

Doug Isenberg, Esq.
Editor & Publisher, GigaLaw.com
FREE daily Internet law news!  Subscribe at
http://www.gigalaw.com/news/index.html