Re: copyright web 'look'

by Doug Isenberg <disenberg(at)GigaLaw.com>

 Date:  Wed, 17 Jan 2001 17:11:23 -0500
 To:  HWG Business List <hwg-business(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original

>I think the patent office needs to hire some
>computer-savvy people, so they can determine what's "not obvious" which
>AFAIK is a requirement for a patent.

         Yes, indeed, "non-obviousness" (along with newness and usefulness)
is a requirement of U.S. patent law.  You may be interested in "How the
Patent Office Has Responded to E-Commerce Patents,"
http://www.gigalaw.com/articles/kirsch-2000-08-p1.html .  Among other
things, the article states that the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office is
trying to improve prior-art searching and patent-examination quality by

"Enhancing technical training for patent examiners;
"Revising the existing examination guidelines to include business-method
inventions; and
"Expanding current search activities, to provide for mandatory searching in
certain databases, and to provide a second level of review by senior patent
examiners for patent applications relating to business methods."

Doug Isenberg, Esq.
Editor & Publisher, GigaLaw.com
FREE daily Internet law news via e-mail!  Subscribe at
http://www.GigaLaw.com/news