Re: Merchant Accounts?

by Marty Landman <marty(at)face2interface.com>

 Date:  Thu, 01 Feb 2001 15:19:01 -0500
 To:  "Genesis Web Designs" <gdrennon(at)genesiswebdesigns.com>,
<hwg-business(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 01:22 PM 2/1/01, Genesis Web Designs wrote:

>    I suspect at first, they will have a lot of sales (this item is not
>available anywhere else) but I'm sure at some point the sales will taper off
>to even just a few a month.

This sounds pessimistic and unusual. Are they selling the elixir of youth,
so that one purchase sets up the buyer forever? Am I on the right track here?

>What would be the best option for them?  Are there merchant accounts that
>only charge per transaction?  They basically need something free or very
>cheap.

Get a copy & paste form mail handler pgm for your platform, your ISP might
even provide one already. Collect everything but the credit card info and
have your client call them to complete the order. If the volume's too great
for that to be realistic, then for a reasonable fee you could hire someone
(me, for instance) to collect the credit card info over a secure link and
email the order to your client.

The way I do this for sites with small volume is to encrypt the data on the
server on a non-web accessible directory. Then send a secure link with the
order email which sits behind an .htaccess file. When they're ready to get
the CC# they click the link, enter id/pw, and print or write down the info.
It's simultaneously deleted from the server.

Marty