Re: OT: SPAM

by Marty Landman <marty(at)face2interface.com>

 Date:  Tue, 06 Feb 2001 10:12:30 -0500
 To:  <brian(at)gfx.cncdsl.com>,
"HWG Business" <hwg-business(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 08:52 AM 2/6/01, Brian V Bonini wrote:

>I've followed their remove instructions to no avail
>and have even called them on the phone and asked to be
>removed from their list.

I've heard that doing these things is generally a bad idea because spammers
are unscrupulous as a rule. Replying to them is often a way for them to
confirm that an email address gets to a real person. Calling them can
result in exorbitant phone charges according to other postings I've read. I
would check with your local phone provider to be sure. Hope I'm wrong on
that one.

>I have forwarded copies of the email to the ISP's
>where the mail originates from.

Talk to your ISP as well.

>This is s disruption to my business at this point,
>it's crazy.....

If things are that bad, I'd write a strong letter to the spammer's physical
address if they have one. And copy your state's district attorney, the US
Attorney General, the FCC, FTC, your ISP, and their ISP. Did I miss anyone
here?

>Anyway, sorry for the whining, I was just wondering
>if anyone has ever been in this situation and taken it
>to the next step..... Do I have a leg to stand on?
>What other action can I take?

Set up some filters on your email client. I use Eudora's free edition and
the filtering is pretty good. I don't think you're whining at all, it's a
real drag when this kind of thing happens. Good luck.

Marty
http://face2interface.com