Re: Question about children and memberships

by Doug Isenberg <disenberg(at)GigaLaw.com>

 Date:  Fri, 18 May 2001 14:48:33 -0400
 To:  "InterDesign" <pperry(at)inter-design.net>,
<hwg-business(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original

>My client wants to build a site for kids. He wants to offer memberships, and
>to have them interact via email with the characters of the site. I need to
>find out what I can and can't ask kids. If anyone has any suggestions or
>sites to point me for this info I'd be greatly appreciative.

         Among other things, web sites that offer services (particularly,
interactive services) for children need to be aware of the Children's
Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA).  In very general terms, COPPA
requires that web sites directed to children (under 13) must obtain
verifiable parental consent before obtaining personally identifiable
information from children.

         The following articles on GigaLaw.com may be helpeful:

How to Comply With The Children's Online Privacy Protection Rule,
http://www.gigalaw.com/articles/ftc-2000-02-p1.html

Living with the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act,
http://www.gigalaw.com/articles/grossman-2000-06-p1.html

How the FTC is Enforcing the Children's Privacy Act,
http://www.gigalaw.com/articles/winer-2000-10-p1.html

The CARU Safe Harbor Guidelines for the Children's Online Privacy
Protection Rule, http://www.gigalaw.com/articles/2001/warlupa-2001-03-p1.html

and others at http://www.gigalaw.com/articles/privacy.html

         And, here's a copy of the rule implementing COPPA:
http://www.gigalaw.com/library/coppa-1999-11-03-p1.html

Doug Isenberg, Esq.
Editor & Publisher, GigaLaw.com
FREE daily Internet law news via e-mail! Subscribe at
http://www.GigaLaw.com/news