Re: 'law' gTLD?

by Doug Isenberg <disenberg(at)GigaLaw.com>

 Date:  Tue, 18 Dec 2001 13:42:21 -0500
 To:  hwg-business(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
         New.net offers a number of "gTLDs" (including ".law") that are not
recognized by ICANN.  They are not truly "g" because they are not truly
global.  According to New.net, it is "encouraging millions of users to
activate their Internet browsers to recognize New.net domain names and
partnering with leading Internet Service Providers to activate our domain
names automatically at the network level. We now have tens of millions of
users that have access to New.net domain names, and we are confident that
New.net domain names will soon be recognized universally across the
Internet."  (See http://www.new.net/about_us_mission.tp)

         How successful this alternative system will be remains to be seen.

Doug Isenberg, Esq.
Editor & Publisher, GigaLaw.com
FREE daily Internet law news via e-mail!  Subscribe today at
http://www.GigaLaw.com/news