Re: designing for IE and NS

by Bernie Mooney <bernie(at)cybernia.net>

 Date:  Wed, 24 May 2000 14:57:35 -0400
 To:  Scott Bowling <scottbff(at)erols.com>,
hwg-business(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 05:35 AM 5/24/2000, Scott Bowling wrote:

>Well, after such a nice start, you have to go and be less than
>productive or pleasant. I don't recall anyone saying that *you* were
>less than knowledgeable, rather that seeing a "best viewed with..."
>button gives themt he impression of incompetence. You specifically asked
>what people thought, and it's quite rude to respond in such a manner to
>people taking time to answer your question.

>Yeah, I know. It was very late and I got a private message that did
>question my competence and I apologize once again.
>
> > It may be wonderful to spend that extra time screwing
> > around with limited technology but it pisses me off.
> >
>That's a shame, however, device independence is becoming *more*
>important, not less. You can discount older browsers, screen readers (at
>least if you're not working under ADA requirements), WAP and other Web
>appliances if you want. No one is suggesting that you *have* to do
>anything (situations falling under the purview of the ADA excepted), but
>you asked for opinions, and you got some. You don't have to like it, but
>life's like that. Deal.

The newer technologies like Web TV and ADA I have no problem learning those.
east more than 216 colors

>Uh, gee, I think Netscape can handle more than 216 colors. That's a
>system limitation and has nothing to do with the browser.

As I said in another post, everything I've read states that NS can only
handle 216 colors.

>Well, there are several ways to do a dynamic "back" button that will
>work on practically *all* browsers. Perhaps you could ask about how to
>do so on the Techniques list. Not to push it, but this again seems to
>indicate something of a lack of knowledge.

Well, when we were attempting this, a year ago we even went to an outside
web design firm where one of my partners had a friend. It is a pretty big
outfit and has quite a roster of clients. He said it couldn't be done.

Bernie