Re: pre-register new gTLD domain names?

by Jeanne Eicks <webmaster(at)locustcreek.com>

 Date:  Thu, 25 Jan 2001 10:25:10 -0500
 To:  "Robert Clendaniel" <robert(at)baylogic.com>,
hwg-business(at)mail.hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hello all,

I just spent a little time researching this.  Here's the scoop, from ICANN
and the FCC.

The new TLDs are not expected to be operational until at least the second
quarter of 2001.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
FAQ #1: How can I register a name in one of the new top-level domains
(TLDs) right now?
No companies have been accredited yet to register names in any of the new
TLDs. Registration procedures have not yet been formalized, and there is no
guarantee that any particular organization will be authorized to take
registrations for any particular TLD. Registration will be done on a fair
basis. Please monitor the ICANN website for further developments.
FAQ #2: Can I "pre-register" names in the new TLDs?
No one has been authorized to "pre-register" domain names in the new TLDs.
Persons who attempt to "pre-register" such domain names do so at their own
risk and with no assurance that they will receive the pre-registered names
once the TLDs become operational. The U.S. Federal Trade Commission (FTC)
recently issued a consumer alert warning about "scam artists" offering
services along these lines. Among other recommendations, the FTC advised
consumers to protect themselves by "[a]voiding any domain name
pre-registration service that asks for up-front fees, guarantees particular
top level domain names or preferential treatment in the assignment of new
top level domain names." Please refer to the FTC's alert for additional
information.

More information is available at http://www.icann.org

Regards,
Jeanne Eicks