Re: Print Yellow Pages

by "Judith C. Kallos" <webmaster(at)theistudio.com>

 Date:  Wed, 09 Aug 2000 12:34:15 -0500
 To:  <hwg-business(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 10:54 AM 08/09/2000 -0500, Garry W. Harrell wrote:
>Judith
>
>I would be interested in hearing what sections you target in the newspaper.

The Service Ad section is reactively inexpensive and allows a decent size
display ad that you can change as often as you like.  The name of this area
may be different from paper to paper though and I am not sure if your
papers would have this section.  Otherwise I ask for front of paper
positioning and if possible I want the "thumb location".  Where someone's
thumb goes to hold the paper while turning or perusing a page.  ;-)

>I have just dropped my banner ad in the weekly Technology section because I
>was not pulling any response.

I have found that off-line advertising is more of an "awareness"  and
credibility builder that actually generating signed contracts.  Folks see
your ad there for a decent length of time and they know you are credible
and doing something right if you remain in business.  New clients have
mentioned this on many occasions that they kept seeing our ads every week
(for 4 years now) and that led them to believe we knew what we were doing.

>What sections, types of ads, focus of message, etc., have been successful
>with you?

This is what you have to determine will work for you.  My focus is a tad
different that most shops and I use this to our benefit in our
advertising.  We concentrate on training, mentoring and ongoing coaching
and that is what our ads focus on.

>I am getting together to brainstorm with my newspaper rep on
>Friday and I am much in need of strategy.

Here again, the strategy and words you use will determine who you
draw.  Profitable customers do not respond to hype or words like cheap,
fast, easy.  Change things weekly until you find something that works or
taps into your market for you.  I am known at all the newspapers in this
area as I rotate ads.  For those I rotate weekly, I give my rep 12 weeks
worth at once which makes their job easier.

Your rep should also be your advocate in getting press releases about your
business in front of the powers that be...newspaper articles are a big
draw!  ;-)

HTH!
/j