Re: which webserver ?

by Rene Churchill <rene(at)vtwebwizard.com>

 Date:  Fri, 11 Aug 2000 13:55:52 -0400
 To:  hwg-business(at)mail.hwg.org
 Cc:  info(at)akerne-orchids.com
  todo: View Thread, Original

Hi Kenneth,

Personally I believe the Cobalt servers are more of a benefit to the ISPs=20
than to website owners.  Cobalt comes in a limited number of configurations=
=20
and requires very little setup by the ISPs sysadmin staff.

I'm looking for a bit more flexibility in what I have installed on the=20
webserver, so I went with a generic rack server that I'm configuring the=20
software on myself.  (Apache, PHP4, MySQL, Oracle, QuickMail  etc.)  I'm a=
=20
decent programmer so the sysadmin tasks aren't that onerous.

For what it's worth, I've got a dedicated server with=20
WebServePro.  http://www.webservepro.com  I liked them because they're=20
willing to help out with the sysadmin tasks but still allow me to have root=
=20
access.  They were also willing to build the machine for me instead of my=20
having to build it and ship it to them.  They have a nice backup solution=20
where they add your server to their tape backups for $2/gig/month, min=20
$25.  So far their customer support has been very good.

         Rene

--
Ren=E9 Churchill                         rene(at)vtwebwizard.com
Vermont Web Wizard                     802-244-5151