Re: Ethics

by Ivan Hoffman <ivan(at)ivanhoffman.com>

 Date:  Wed, 05 Sep 2001 13:54:04 -0700
 To:  Susan Vollmer <susanvollmer(at)yahoo.com>,
hwg-business(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 12:56 PM 9/5/2001 -0700, Susan Vollmer wrote:

>Are there any steps that you take to protect yourself
>and your sites?
>
>What recourses are there before hiring a lawyer?

Register your copyrights.  Without registration, your rights and remedies
are pretty much worthless since you have to plead and prove actual damages,
which is nearly impossible to do.  But with registered copyrights, you can
avail yourself of statutory damages plus attorneys fees.  This can
substantially aid you in settling a claimed infringement.

Read "Do I Need to Register My Copyrights?" on my site.  Click on "Articles
for Writers and Publishers."

You can also read the articles on the link "Articles About e-THICS."

IVAN HOFFMAN, B.A., J.D.
Attorney at Law
Lawyering With Integrity
Internet Law, Publishing Law, Copyrights, Trademarks, Corporate Training
and Online Education Law, Web Design Law, Music Law.  *A 6 Times Award
Winning Site.* http://www.ivanhoffman.com