RE: To give up copyright to client or not

by Ivan Hoffman <ivan(at)ivanhoffman.com>

 Date:  Thu, 27 Sep 2001 14:50:56 -0700
 To:  "Joe Farris" <joe(at)mywalk.com>,
hwg-business(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 04:05 PM 9/27/2001 -0500, Joe Farris wrote:
>It seems to me that the legal experts here are clear in what they
>are saying and that they have everyone's best interest at heart.

Thanks.   Read "Dignity for Designers" and you will see my opinion on this
email.  It is a circle.  You say that you'll wait for better business and
then you'll have a better contract.  My experience is that you have to
project professionalism in order to get better business and among the first
thing a client sees from you is your contract and your business sense in
presenting that contract.  If it looks like an amateur wrote it, your
chances of getting better business just disappears.  The entrepreneur knows
how to spend money to get value.

I taught classes for a long time in making money as a web designer and
frankly, many of the most creative artists haven't a clue as to how to make
money in this very competitive field.  27 years of practicing law,
representing creative talent of all sorts, has shown me that it takes more
than talent, much more, to make money in anything creative.  It takes
professionalism, marketing, entrepreneurial skills.  If you don't have
these yourself, as many creatives don't, find someone who does and let them
lead the way.  And sometimes that "way" requires you to spend money on
yourself.

Believe in abundance, not poverty.

IVAN HOFFMAN, B.A., J.D.
Attorney at Law
Lawyering With Integrity
Internet Law, Publishing Law, Copyrights, Trademarks, Corporate Training
and Online Education Law, Web Design Law, Music Law.  *A 6 Times Award
Winning Site.* http://www.ivanhoffman.com