Re: Copyright issues

by Ivan Hoffman <ivan(at)ivanhoffman.com>

 Date:  Wed, 03 Oct 2001 10:19:30 -0700
 To:  <bjornvs(at)bvsenterprises.com>,
"HWG Business" <hwg-business(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 12:32 PM 10/3/2001 -0400, Bjorn Van Simaeys wrote:
>Hello,
>

>I am currently exploring the steps to work together with a graphics
>designer. This person will design logo's and perhaps also page layouts for
>me. Legally, I've always known that the one who makes/designs something is
>automatically the owner of the copyright too. Therefore I would like to
>compose some kind of contract that states that the designer sells all his
>rights (pertaining to this 'image'-file) to me.

If you want information about United States' law, there are plenty of
articles on my site dealing with the legal issues involved in web design
agreements and relationships.

Why anyone would try to draft a complex legal document in an area of the
law that changes nearly every day and is filled with ambiguity is unclear
to me in the extreme.  But to each his or her own as long as they are aware
of the many legal problems into which they are stepping.   One of the
articles to read is "Dignity for Designers."

IVAN HOFFMAN, B.A., J.D.
Attorney at Law
Lawyering With Integrity
Internet Law, Publishing Law, Copyrights, Trademarks, Corporate Training
and Online Education Law, Web Design Law, Music Law.  *A 6 Times Award
Winning Site.* http://www.ivanhoffman.com