Re: Copyright issues

by Doug Isenberg <disenberg(at)GigaLaw.com>

 Date:  Wed, 03 Oct 2001 13:37:03 -0400
 To:  "HWG Business" <hwg-business(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
         Under the "work for hire" doctrine of U.S. copyright law, the
person (or company) who hires someone else to create a copyrightable work
is, by law, the copyright owner of the work.  However, the "work for hire"
doctrine only applies in limited circumstances.  (See the article, "What is
a "Work Made for Hire"?" on GigaLaw.com at
http://www.gigalaw.com/articles/loc-2000-02-p1.html .)

         If the work does not qualify as a work for hire, then someone
other than the work's creator can obtain copyright ownership by
"assignment," that is, a legal document transferring rights.  (See the
article, "Ownership Issues in Copyright Law" on GigaLaw.com at
http://www.gigalaw.com/articles/landau-2000-04-p1.html .)

         As stated above, this all applies under U.S. law.  If there is a
question as to whether another country's laws could apply, then obviously
those laws (or a lawyer experienced in the laws of the relevant country)
should be consulted.

Doug Isenberg, Esq.
Editor & Publisher, GigaLaw.com (http://www.GigaLaw.com)
GigaLaw.com: "Legal information for Internet professionals"