RE: How to get a client to pay

by Ivan Hoffman <ivan(at)ivanhoffman.com>

 Date:  Mon, 24 Jun 2002 10:32:40 -0700
 To:  <jeremy(at)localnetamerica.com>,
"'David Jourard'" <cgi(at)bytesinteractive.com>,
<hwg-business(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 01:27 PM 6/24/2002 -0400, jeremy wrote:
>What are your thoughts (anyone) about writing a sort of "self-destruct"
>mechanism.  Clearly state in your agreements that the finished product
>will be placed on the client's server.  However, if payment is not
>received in full, then the script will automatically delete itself after
>so many days, or something similar.  If payment is received, then you
>will send a "patch" to the program to remove the mechanism.  This would
>then stop the client from changing passwords on the server, and stopping
>you from being able to take it back down.
>
>Ivan - is this even legal?  I know you can't give 'official' advice, but
>is this even a possibility?

I express absolutely *no opinion* about any of the above.  All
designers/developers need to consult with an attorney experienced in all
these matters.

Read "Dignity For Designers"  http://www.ivanhoffman.com/dignity.html and
the many, many other articles on my site under the link "Articles for Web
Site Designers and Site Owners."

This reply is not legal advice and does not create any attorney client
relationship.

IVAN HOFFMAN, B.A., J.D.
Attorney at Law
Lawyering With Integrity
Internet Law, Publishing Law, Copyrights, Trademarks, Corporate Training
and Online Education Law, Web Design Law, Music Law.  *A 6 Times Award
Winning Site.* http://www.ivanhoffman.com