Re: Copyrights and keeping a client

by Ivan Hoffman <ivan(at)ivanhoffman.com>

 Date:  Tue, 05 Nov 2002 07:34:21 -0800
 To:  "Debbie O'Meara" <domeara(at)QuixNet.net>,
<hwg-business(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 07:10 AM 11/5/2002 -0800, Debbie O'Meara wrote:

>I'm racking my brain to see how I can do the right/legal thing and not lose
>my biggest client.  Not that I know she'll leave, but she's awfully mad!
>How have you resolved this kind of thing before?

This type issue should be expressly covered in the thorough, written and
signed designer/client agreement.  Apparently it is not so covered and thus
the designer and the client may face legal liability to the copyright
proprietor and the designer and client may have legal issues as between
themselves.

What could have been handled simply in the said agreement, has now become a
potential significant legal issue that may end up losing the client for the
designer.

I am NOT commenting on this particular situation but rather making a
general observation that is NOT about this designer or this client but
isn't it clear by now that having less than thorough legal agreements,
agreements cut and pasted or derived from forms or passed around by
colleagues, is NOT cost effective???

Invest in yourselves people....

Read "Dignity for Designers" on my
site.  http://www.ivanhoffman.com/dignity.html

This reply is not legal advice and does not create any attorney client
relationship.

IVAN HOFFMAN, B.A., J.D.
Attorney at Law
Lawyering With Integrity
Internet Law, Publishing Law, Copyrights, Trademarks, Web Design Law, Fine
Art Law, Corporate Training and Online Education Law, Music Law.  *A 6
Times Award Winning Site.* http://www.ivanhoffman.com