Re: Do I Need To Ask Permission?

by "Judith C. Kallos" <webmaster(at)theistudio.com>

 Date:  Wed, 23 May 2001 10:47:15 -0500
 To:  "Hadley Spagna" <hspagna(at)earthlink.net>,
<hwg-business(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hey, Hadley:  ;-)

At 06:31 PM 05/21/2001 -0400, Hadley Spagna wrote:
>You've never seen my name before because this is my first post.  I've =
>been listening in for about a month now, but have kept quiet.

Welcome!

>I'm designing a website for a friend of mine who has a restaurant.  He =
>has received letters complimenting his establishment from the Average =
>Joe to relatively famous local bands and personalities.
>
>My question is, do I (or does he) need to ask permission to include =
>quotes from these letters on his site?

That is always recommended just so that you have all the bases
covered.  Those letters are copyrighted by the persons who wrote
them.  When you do so, be sure to make clear to them exactly what you will
be posting and if that includes their name and contact information.

The last thing you want is for one of these folks to see their words and
names and feel as though they were not advised first.

HTH!
/j