Re: Finding new business for startup

by "Judith C. Kallos" <webmaster(at)theistudio.com>

 Date:  Thu, 09 Aug 2001 08:54:21 -0700
 To:  "Insurance Squared" <gcooke(at)insurancesquared.com>,
<hwg-business(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hello, Glenn:  ;-)

At 08:34 AM 8/9/01 -0400, Insurance Squared wrote:
>Hi All,
>
>I've been doing work for a niche market, but want to expand into web
>development for businesses in general.  As I am just getting started my
>portfolio is very limited (I'm finding this to be a problem).

Nothing wrong with niches - niches work very well online.  ;-)   Lets you
become more focused on certain issues and realities specific to those
niches/markets.  Whether that be industry knowledge, site requirements -
trends in general.  I have found that folks need allot of business coaching
above and beyond the development of their site.  Your online knowledge
within a specific niche can be very valuable to those in that industry.

>Q: What have people here found to be successful ways to start to develop
>business?

Networking, networking, networking!!  Join the local Chamber.  Go to their
mixers and introduce yourself and get the word out.  The hardest obstacle
for you to tackle will be to separate yourself from the pack.  Since
everyone is a "web designer" now-a-days (including everyone's high school
kid) you have to be clear about your focus, your niche, your experience -
what makes your business a business - not just a person who only knows how
to use FrontPage.   All of this takes time to build but can be accomplished
with a consistent game plan that undersells and over delivers.

>Should I offer to do some free work for local non-profit orgs (I will be
>doing this anyway as I'm the only web person in this little town, but should
>I spend more time on this as a way to develop leads?).

I believe that it is best to donate your time to organizations that you
truly believe in and support.  Otherwise, the demands of doing work and
support at no cost will become a burden and tiresome.  If you are into the
cause then that becomes a non-issue.

In six years in this business, I have found without a doubt the best way to
develop leads is simply word of mouth.  Folks do not know how to value one
web designer from another and many don't want to take the time to do the
due diligence to determine who really does know what they are doing and
have their best interest at heart.  By having satisfied clients and letting
them them know that you appreciate their referrals by offering a free month
of hosting or some "reward" as appreciation for their recommendations, will
garner ongoing referrals.

Once the word gets out about your skills, your support and your clients
satisfaction levels you will have more than enough work to get the ball
rolling.

>Should I be advertising in the local weekly paper?

Been there, done that - actually for years.  Was great for branding and
getting the word out that we existed in general but didn't generate
contracts - only "shoppers".   Newspapers can be costly too and never
really did see a solid ROI on those efforts.  Same with the Yellow Pages -
all that generated was folks looking for ISPs with local access - even when
our display ad indicated no such thing.  We became the "Shell Answer Man"
for anything Internet.

>Any other thoughts?

One rule of sales - never go anywhere without your business cards as you
never know when you will have an opportunity to hand them out.  ;-)  Then,
make sure your Web site backs up your expertise and let it sell for you.

Through your Chamber involvement and volunteer efforts which can include
showing up at their meetings and events, combined with any opportunity for
local community involvement, that is the best way to get your new business
"out there".

Some good info on the HWG's site too:

<http://www.hwg.org/lists/hwg-business/faq.html>

HTH!