Re: Ethics and Morals in Web Design

by "Judith C. Kallos" <hwg-lgmgr(at)theistudio.com>

 Date:  Wed, 06 Mar 2002 09:55:41 -0800
 To:  "Brandon Coughlin" <bcoughlin(at)urx.com>,
"HWG-Business(at)hwg.org" <hwg-business(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hello, Brandon:  ;-)

At 06:42 AM 3/6/02, Brandon Coughlin wrote:

>As most of you are aware, this topic seems to be rather sensitive - this
>proved true a few weeks back on the Techniques list.  I am truly interested
>though in how this issue is tackled by website designers.

I watched that thread with interest.   Welcome to the Business
list!  ;-)  Bottom line is, it is your choice on how you want to run your
business and whom you want to do business with.   Keeping in mind that you
have to have a model that will produce a profit or you won't have a
business for very long.

>I (like a lot of other people I know) choose to operate according to a
>statement of ethics in which the designer expresses what type of business
>he/she will or will not choose to accept, in regards to the subject of the
>content that will be on the website.

I do the same.  I have a very intensive screening process before I sign any
new client.  And have "released" several clients because our ethics were
not in line.  I will not do sub quality work, cut corners or do anything
that I know not to be right just to make a buck.  If I cannot respect and
like my clients, I don't do business with them.

If I see that I cannot develop a long term mutually respectful relationship
with a potential client, I don't sign them in the first place.  After doing
this for so long, I can determine very quickly within the first initial
contacts if this is possible just based on how potential clients
communicate with me and what their business experience is. This
determination is not based on the religion or their/my freedom of
speech.  It is based on what I know to be true to make /my/ business
profitable.

It is my choice to determine whom I want to work with and what type of
sites I want to work on.  To date, I have declined several offers in the
"adult" field simply because I do not want the stigma that doing a site of
that topic may have for my business overall.  That is my choice.  I don't
hafta do it because they asked me to - it is my decision.  Instead I refer
those inquires to several shops that specialize in that area.

>  Some people believe that this intrudes
>on freedom of speech and in some cases, freedom of religion.  Others (like
>me) believe that their freedom of religion allows them to make these
>restrictions.  What is your opinion on this issue?

"Freedom" of speech and "freedom" of religion have absolutely nothing to do
with whom you want to do business with.  If someone contacts you because
they want to do a hate site - are you obligated to sign them as a
client?  No!  But if you want to you can.  If they contact you to do a site
that conflicts with your core beliefs are you obligated to work for
them?  Of course not.  Many times those not so experienced in business,
from a business point of view, will comment on these issues with emotions
not on the reality of running a business.

Now, as far as religion.... I have to say that is not a determining factor
for me and  I honestly do not even know where the majority of my clients
worship.  I work with businesses on business issues - none of which - to
date -  having to do with religion.  If someone were to contact me to do a
site for a religious group, unless the site contained something illegal or
obviously immoral - I would have no problem just because they were not the
same religion as I am.

If one were to decide to work on sites only for those within their
religious belief structure and can turn that into a profitable business -
more power to them!  There are enough niches for everyone!  ;-)

>Does you or your company have a
>statement of ethics, if so can you post it here for us to see?

My entire site is filled with my statement of ethics simply by the content
provided and the verbiage used.  Then I back that up with who I am and
folks know very quickly that they are not some words on a screen.   I am
very clear about the type of business that I run.  I don't mince words
because I have found that over the 7+ years I have been doing this gig that
if I am not crystal clear, folks expectations and perceptions get way out
of hand and in the long run they will try and make me responsible for their
misconceptions.  I do sign every visitor to my site because of this, nor is
that my goal.  I have a niche in working with those who have business
experience, know how to form /partnerships/ with professionals and those
folks are drawn to me like a bug to a light.  ;-)

There are many in this biz that specialize in certain niches and run their
businesses with integrity and honesty as they see fit and do well by their
clients.   Many others just have software, do not know much else about
running a business and hang out a shingle with hype and misinformation -
what are their "ethics" or is this ignorance?  The market will judge.

Everyone has the "freedom" to determine how to run their business and what
their niche is - and they should.   The market will bear if it is worthy of
profit. You simply cannot be everything to everyone - nor should you try if
you are serious about running a profitable enterprise.  The key is to find
a model or niche that can turn to profit, satisfied clients and a
reputation that brings new business - without this you are out of business.

HTH!
/j