Re: maintaining sites with constant browser upgrades

by "Kevin A. Jackson" <kevin(at)nvision.on.ca>

 Date:  Thu, 20 Feb 2003 10:47:55 -0500
 To:  hwg-business(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 11:28 PM 2/19/03 -0800, KGWS wrote:

>>- snipped -<
>i think i chose the wrong wording in my initial post but basically i'm
>asking if anyone has come up against this problem where a client could come
>back in 5 years time and ask for a fix to their site which may not look as
>intended due to a new standard that has since come out. (ie. layout, css
>issues, who knows what is in store for us)
>>- snipped -<

My take is to spin it positively. It's not about the technology or any shortcoming on your part, or the Internet's for that matter :). It's about keeping up with the times. A website is intrinsically tied to the image and marketing communications of an organization, and people regularly dust that off and update it, so that they don't look dated or stale - so why shouldn't the website be something that is updated at the same time?

If the client is not the type to update their image occasionally, then it's going to be a tough sell anyway, so don't kill yourself trying. You're better off looking through your customer list for clients who see the importance of occasionally refreshing their image, and if you bring it up, they may realize that it's a good time to re-do their print and other materials too.

This is not a pitch suggesting you over-hype the technology and the need to be on the cutting edge, just a suggestion to point out the relationship between the companies image and the latest trends, both off-line AND online.

Cheers

Kevin Jackson

--
Biz-Zone Internet Group Inc.
Web developers, publishers and consultants,