Re: CA sales tax rates for online purchases

by Ivan Hoffman <ivan(at)ivanhoffman.com>

 Date:  Sat, 01 Mar 2003 05:20:41 -0800
 To:  "Maureen A. Barlow" <mab(at)maureenbarlow.com>,
<hwg-business(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 09:13 PM 2/28/2003 -0500, Maureen A. Barlow wrote:
>Hello everyone,
>
>My current client resides and does business in California, and I am in the
>process of finalizing her shopping cart with sales tax information.  I found
>out that California has a plethora of different sales tax rates, which vary
>by county, and sometimes by city.

This is NOT the responsibility of the designer.  This is information the
client and the client's certified public accountant should provide to the
designer.  The designer should absolutely NOT try to figure this out.  The
client's responsibility for doing so and for paying all appropriate taxes
should be clearly set forth in the designer's written agreement with the
client.

This reply is not intended as legal advice and is not legal advice.  This
reply is intended to provide only general, non-specific legal information.
This reply does not create any attorney client relationship.

IVAN HOFFMAN, B.A., J.D.
Attorney at Law
Lawyering With Integrity
Internet Law, Publishing Law, Copyrights, Trademarks, Web Design Law, Fine
Art Law, Corporate Training and Online Education Law, Music and Recording
Law.  *The Winner of 8 Prestigious Web Site Awards.* http://www.ivanhoffman.com