Re: Worst fear came true/backup questions

by allan <allan(at)spectrum-computers.com>

 Date:  Sat, 8 Jan 2000 21:47:31 -0500
 To:  <hwg-business(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Linda was like:

LT> Hi HWG List Members,

LT> I just endured one of the great tragedies a webmaster fears � my computer
LT> stopped working and I had to delete/reinstall _all_ of the software.  Twenty
LT> hours gone � spent rebuilding the system, software, etc.

LT> Did I backup my data files regularly?  Yes.  But my data files weren�t lost.
LT> What I did lose was important information stored inside software:

LT> The e-mail in my Outlook program.
LT> All bookmarks in the browsers.
LT> FTP settings.

LT> NOW I know I should backup these things, as well as data files, at the end
LT> of every day. What I�d really like is an affordable backup system that would
LT> make a mirror image of my hard drive (which is 20G) but I don�t know if that
LT> exists.

 I'm not sure what you consider affordable, but you may want to look
 into one of the many new IDE RAID solutions that are on the
 market...you put the card into your system along with a similar sized
 hard drive, and your data is copied from one disk to the other, it is
 contantly being done so if you ever have a problem you won't lose any
 data.  This is not a good backup solution but its a great drive
 failure solution.  Arco is one of the companies that makes this type
 of product, but there are many others as well:

 http://www.arcoide.com

 Good luck!

allan
-------
Allan Liska                                       Spectrum Computers
http://www.spectrum-computers.com     http://www.webcreations-va.com
If I don't document something, it's usually either for a good reason,
or a bad reason.   -- Larry Wall