User numbers: Access speed

by Moe Rubenzahl <moe(at)maxim-ic.com>

 Date:  Wed, 31 May 2000 17:49:37 -0700
 To:  hwg-business(at)hwg.org

Anyone have a source for reliable figures as to what people are using
out there? Especially: Connect speed, but also interested in
platform, monitor size?

In particular: I am running into requests to add Big Fat Things to
various sites, and having a little trouble arguing against 150K home
pages. I have numbers but nothing I can point to as definitive and
convincing -- and recent.

For instance: Adobe's home page is about 150K these days -- nearly a
minute for many modem users! The argument I got was that their
customers are professionals, all connecting with big pipes. I
questioned this and my source claims Adobe has measured this and is
confident. I dunno -- what about home office users; international;
road warriors with laptops? Are they impacting a tiny percentage of
their users; or are they missing the boat?