RE: Web Log Statistics

by Moe Rubenzahl <moe(at)maxim-ic.com>

 Date:  Thu, 2 Mar 2000 10:46:02 -0800
 To:  <hwg-business(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
>We use WebTrends but are looking to move to HitList.  WebTrends is WAY too
>slow. ... We've tried to run it for a week and it crashes
>the machine.

Same here -- Todd reported the shortcomings very well.

WebTrends has a good feature list and is easy to set up and run, easy
to customize. But for sizable logs, it's a performance hog, taking a
loooong time to run and even if you are looking at just a few items,
I understand that it still tears through the whooooole log and
createst the whooooole database. Large runs tend to crash it. You
need to give it tonnage of RAM.

Still -- after you get it customized as desired, you can devote a
whole PC to it for overnight runs, posting results to a web page, and
thereby get the job done. So the negatives are real but the product
is still workable -- more so for smaller sites than for large; and
more so for regular production runs than for ad hoc analysis.