Re: Hmm...where'd those six figures go?

by Moe Rubenzahl <moe(at)maxim-ic.com>

 Date:  Fri, 7 Jul 2000 09:55:35 -0700
 To:  <ltitus(at)mindspring.com>,
<hwg-business(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
>But alas, no one's offering me six figures! :-) I personally know several
>talented/experienced web site designers, and they're going unnoticed as
>well.

Kind of a paradox: Six-figure salaries for new grads yet none of us
gray-hairs are seeing it. As with most paradoxes, the resolution of
the conundrum is to question the question.

The news reports are exaggerated. They focus on a very small number
of cases. 24-year-old millionaires make great copy; the ones who bust
their butts and end up restarting their careers don't.

I have seen a few six-figure salaries for young wizards who are
either very talented programmers or have focused skills that happen
to be very hot. They are the exceptions that make the news!

Many of the dot-com rockets are sputtering and as a hiring manager, I
am seeing candidates who are coming from dot-coms looking for
non-startup, post-IPO, corporate positions, reporting to mature,
professional managers.

There is still a shortage -- it is not easy to hire web programmers,
good web authors, and IT types. But I don't think the six-figure
entry-level salary stories were ever as real or as common as they
look on the news.

(P.S. Parenthetically -- and as a shameless plug -- If anyone knows a
Cold Fusion programmer who wants a great position with options in a
16-year-old, publicly trade, very profitable company, working for a
mature manager and who wants a real career -- I have an opening!)